Friday, June 23, 2006

Time goes by so quickly!

So my count down has begun. I have 11 days before I go back home, and to be more specific, by next Friday, I will be on my way to London to spend four days there before leaving the UK.

Surprisingly, the time has passed by quickly, and as much as I miss home and my family and friends, as much as I'm going to miss working in the hospital here.

I was able to fit in rather quickly. I have many docs to thank for that, and I made sure that I show them my gratitude. Today as I was leaving the hospital, I thought I'd stop by Boots and get something to drink, and I saw a registrar who was the very first doc I talked to when I started. He saw me sitting in the Medical Assessment Unit and gave me comapany until I got a call from the consultant who was in charge of me. I told him that I have a week left, and he wished me all the best. It hit me then that I'm actually 'leaving', for good! The feeling wasn't pleasent. I've had this feeling for some time now. I came to know a lot of the docs around here. This morning I also bumped into my previous consultant, and I realized how much I missed working in the Acute Medicine Unit.

I've learnt a lot during those two months, I'm more confident now in my skills and knowledge. I was appreciated as a junior, and I was given a lot of support from the docs around me, from juniors to seniors. They were all ready to listen, answer my questions, and give me responsibility. I was able to prove myself, and in no time I got to know the system, I started to clerk patients on my own, and write down their notes, present to the seniors, get their bloods, send their forms, and check them later and put it all down in the file and show it to a senior. I gave my work my best, I put all my energy into it, and I gave it my 100% attention and priority. I didn't mind the work, I loved it to be honest. I have enough courage now to ask questions, and discuss management issues with the docs. My clinical skills and knowledge have improved a lot. The respect that I got from both docs and patients helped a lot, they respect you as someone who's qualifying, and they're always willing to answer your questions and be examined by you (the patients that is), and if you fail to get blood out of them, they don't scream in your face, they know you're learning so they don't mind.

I don't mind staying here to be honest. I do miss my life back home, but work-wise, I'm happy here. I've learnt a lot. I'm more relaxed and calm. There's no pressure from other students, no stupid competition, where everyone only cares about themselves, no students worrying over exams and making you nervous too. Everyone minds their own business, and no one interfers with your privacy. They treat you as someone who deserves to be respected and appreciated. I'm seriously thinking of leaving once I finish my internship and come back here for work experience.

Alright a long post. Home sweet home, I'll be back shortly, I need to finish my goodbyes next week, and give my work my best, even though I already got my evaluation forms done. I need to finish buying gifts (I suck when it comes to shopping lol!).

Posted by Noors at 11:37 AM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger sensation posted at Sun Jun 25, 09:11:00 PM  
    God! I enjoy reading long posts! :D hahahahaa!!! Nice post, doc ;) Well your post got me thinking that I might need to wrok in such an environment too! Respect, privacy and nice people! That's the magical combination!
    Enjoy your very last days in the UK and have a safe trip back home :)
  2. Blogger HA! Entertainment posted at Sun Jun 25, 09:49:00 PM  
    Yeah, sensation, long post reading is good to read, specially if it's a happy story. It's nice to read people's happiness. Like nervousness, happiness spreads. hahaha.

    Have good come home, Noo. :)
  3. Blogger Noors posted at Mon Jun 26, 10:31:00 AM  
    2 more days left in the hospital. I might take the last two days off.

    Sensation, yessss, working in such a good environment always has a positive input. Makes your days brighter and the work more enjoyable.

Post a Comment

« Home