Friday, May 26, 2006

One of the things that I started to become more aware of ever since I started my training here in Cardiff, is how unpleasent it is to go through an illness with no one there by your side. Throughout those three weeks, I've come across quite a few patients who are demented, i.e. elderly patients who start to lose their cognitive function gradually, which can manifest in different forms one of which is loss of memory. A lot of them come to the hospital from their care houses, with infections or so, and you see them there in the hospital, helpless, with barely any cognitive brain functioning, and some of them get to you, especially those who are in a lot of pain, and with no one around to be by their side. Of course you have others who do have supportive families, and you see the look of concern in their children's eyes. It's starting to get to me. I would look at one of the patients and my heart just aches, and I get scared all of a sudden, I never want to end up in a hospital bed all alone.

The idea of lonliness is starting to scare me. It never did before...

There are times when you work in a hospital, where the tragic or heart breaking stories of some of the patients do get to you. No matter how hard you try not to get attached, there are times when it somehow affects you, and the best feeling is when you know that you've helped them somehow, even in the slightest way, but you still have done at least something for them. Other times, it's just frustrating, when you see yourself helpless in front of a disease, and you know that there isn't much that you can really do.

*I need a hug*

Posted by Noors at 12:08 PM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Sat May 27, 02:37:00 AM  
    'i think therefore i am' is much more than a metaphore.

    its a being within its own.

    you feel lonely or you understand the feeling of other people in that position because you imagine yourself being in one such as them.

    that's the empty part of the glass. i would have to say you should drink up from the 'right' side of the glass. the one where all the positive energy comes from.

    so you haven't found a gym, big deal. you're at work for more than 25 hours a day. i am working a job from 8-7 and i still want to do some more. and i am thinking for volunteering to help lukiemia patients through the national association for cancer awareness here.

    there's always a bright side to life as long as you see it through a different perspective.

    good luck
  2. Blogger Noors posted at Sat May 27, 09:07:00 AM  
    Ali,

    You misunderstood completely what I was trying to say in my post. I wasn't talking about 'now'. I'm enjoying my work, I don't mind my long hours, and I was seriously thinking of a part time job or a workshop from which I can learn something interesting. I'm not being negative at all, on the contrary, I'm very positive and I love my work even more everyday.

    I was talking about lonliness in terms of the future. I saw with my own eyes what it's like to grow up all alone, to be in bed, sick and dying with no hand to hold you. It's just something that hit me, because it never really occured to me before how things go on as you age. That's all. Nothing about being negative, just a glimpse of reality. :)
  3. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Sat May 27, 11:18:00 AM  
    lol

    ok...so i have misunderstood you ...sorry about that...

    but thing is i was in the direction that i was talking about the feeling of loneliness when you grow old (hmmm, i didn't even mention that part, did i? - hehe :P)

    but anyhow i don't see it as a biggie in my life anymore

    i have lived that phase in my life...and i said goodbye to it now...because i simply couldn't care less about it anymore...

    ;o)
  4. Blogger HA! Entertainment posted at Mon May 29, 01:22:00 AM  
    Advice from my parents: if you don't wanna get lonely when you're old, get married and have lotsa kids and tell your kids to have lotsa kids. Litle kids always want their granddady/grandnany.

    doh. :))
  5. Blogger HA! Entertainment posted at Mon May 29, 01:24:00 AM  
    mehdi said:
    "i have lived that phase in my life...and i said goodbye to it now...because i simply couldn't care less about it anymore..."

    is it because you're a grand old man ? loool.

    just kiddin.

Post a Comment

« Home