Friday, September 09, 2005

Self harm

Hmm, I don't know what made me intersted in the topic, don't worry people, I have no intentions of doing so, I'm a perfectly healthy person.

I was just reading a chapter in my psychiatry book about suicide and self harm. It just made me wonder how miserable a person can be to actually think of harming him or herself to release the pain, and take their thought out of their mental misery into a physical form. It's sad, because a lot of those do actually try and reach out and share this with someone, but unfortunatly, they're not taken seriously, and so with time, they keep it all bottled up inside them, until one day self harm or even suicide seems to make perfect sense and the best way out.

How hard is it for us to listen to those around us every now and then? Take some time out of our busy schedules and give it to someone who's in need for a listening ear and an open heart?

There are predisposing factors, okay, those are done with, and you can't do much to change them because it's all in the past, but you can help those people get over those stressful memories. Then there are the precipitating factors, now here, you can help a lot. You see that person going through a rough time, help them get through it. Offer a helping hand, it won't kill you to lend a helping hand to someone who's in need, on the contrary, at least you'll know at the end of the day that you've probably saved someone's life, instead of attending their funeral some time later and going to bed at night, thinking 'what if I had just listened?'

Posted by Noors at 11:54 AM

7 Comments

  1. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Fri Sep 09, 12:12:00 PM  
    so if a person comes up to you complaining that he wants to take his own life - what would your reply be?
  2. Blogger Noors posted at Fri Sep 09, 12:17:00 PM  
    First, i would want to know whether this person is serious or not. That you can tell without having to ask, because you can clearly see through a person.

    Second, I would try and offer help, if I can, I would try and listen, and if i think it's serious, i would rather talk to a relative and advice this person to seek an experts help.

    If I know that person really well, then it's a bit different, because then, I can be of more help, because I would know the person better, and know how to get to them.
  3. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Fri Sep 09, 12:48:00 PM  
    and what if you can't get throught to that person ..?
  4. Blogger Noors posted at Fri Sep 09, 01:13:00 PM  
    Then I would've failed big time, and I'd probably live the rest of my life feeling guilty....

    Okay, this is getting a bit depressing. :S
  5. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Sat Sep 10, 04:07:00 AM  
    to be honest: if you can't handle a simple hypothetical situation then how do you think you would handle a real-life one?
  6. Blogger Noors posted at Sat Sep 10, 04:36:00 AM  
    I'm a very tough person btw. I do have a soft heart, but when I'm put in a tough situation, I just get some kind of power to stand up, and I'm saying this, because I have been through times when I had to be the strong one, I even thought I might be cold for doing that!
  7. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Sat Sep 10, 11:13:00 AM  
    you don't need to tell me twice that when the going tough gets going the going gets tough with you

    i believe you without you having to say it

Post a Comment

« Home