Friday, May 20, 2005

What I like about working in a hospital, is how many times people pray for you whenever you help them with anything, and because a lot of them are sick and are in agony, you just know that their prayers come from deep inside their hearts.

What I like about what I do, is that you can so easily make someone feel better, just by giving them a smiling and comforting face. Your main aim throughout your day is how to decrease their pain, and how to make them feel better. True, when you are a banker, you help people who have financial problems, when you are a lawyer, you help people with their legal problems, but when you help a person who is in physical or mental pain, I think that is priceless, and actually yes, you spend an awful lot of your time there in the hospital, no fixed hours, and you're still not paid that much, yet you help people with their most distressing experiences.

I remember when I was doing surgery, one of the consultants took us for bed side teaching, and he was talking us through abdominal examination, and he said something that is, until this day, stuck in my head, I can still hear him and see him in front of me saying it. See when you examine the abdomen for any enlarged organs like the liver, you have to be at the same level to appreciate it, so the best way is to sit down on your knees and examine. Now the guy who was examining it was standing, so the doc goes like "You get down on your knees and examine your patient, yes, in this job, you get down on your knees to make a living"! it was this last part that really caught my attention, and it's true, and I guess that's the beauty of medicine.

Posted by Noors at 11:55 PM

1 Comments

  1. Blogger Tia posted at Sat May 21, 10:22:00 AM  
    noora i guess when they said that nurses were angels of mercy, they forgot you!....i wish all doctors will have at least a 1/4 of your passion. May Allah always bless you

Post a Comment

« Home