Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I was doing my own research last night, trying to find some articles that talk about physical activity and it's affect on preventing chronic illnesses in the elderly.

I came across this interesting article that said that recent research shows that regular exercise decreases the risk of developing Alzheimers disease. If you don't know what it is, it's a disease in which the old person slowly starts to lose his or her memory, starting with short term memory loss, and ending up with forgeting everything they've ever learnt. It's such a sad thing to go through, and it causes a lot of distress to the patient him/herself and to the family.

Think about it. Exercise can help people escape this disease? Just a simple life style modification would cause dramatic changes in your health. Not only that, I also read that exercising helps prevent having colon and breast cancer, how's that done, I don't know. But what I know is that what I've always believed in, is slowly being proven by research. Exercising is the ultimate solution to absolutely any medical problem you can think about. It enhances all the different mechanisms in your body, and is the best way to relax yourself and settles you down after a long and stressful day.

Interesting info. Sad thing is, how many of us do actually use this tool to stay healthy? Most of us take it for granted and pretent that they are stilll too young to worry about these problems. Well here's some flashing news, you start to lose your muscle mass in your 30's, so if you do'nt work on having enough of it now, once you get to the age of 50 you'll barely have enough to carry out your usual every day life activities.

So start from today, make it a habit to exercise everyday. Take some time out of your schedule and give it to exercising. Watch less tv, or take shorter naps, and use the remaining time to do useful physical exercise, believe me, you will never regret it!

Posted by Noors at 5:28 PM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger Namika posted at Wed May 04, 12:03:00 AM  
    I have always known that exercising is important but I guess we humans are just too lazy to do them and keep brining up excuses to not exercise.

    I did want to start last week but I am still waiting for my ganglion wound to heal..
  2. Blogger Unknown posted at Wed May 04, 03:34:00 AM  
    Somehow this makes me feel good that I joined a gym for aerobics and that I started walking.

    Thanks Dr.N


    Namika: you have ganglion???? doesnt that require operating on?!
  3. Blogger Namika posted at Wed May 04, 07:48:00 AM  
    Warda, I already had an operation.. but the wound didn't heal yet.. I still cant' wear closed shoes or go walking :(
  4. Blogger Noors posted at Wed May 04, 09:26:00 AM  
    hey warda,
    Glad you liked what you read, and yeah, it's good that you decided to take classes. if you don't mind me asking, where do you go? i'm still waiting for my trainer to start again, and i want to do something till she does. i'm so deesperate that i thought i'd join future, to at least go to the gym and get back to my old habits.
  5. Blogger Unknown posted at Tue May 10, 03:12:00 AM  
    Aerobics class at Future...I was also considering the Tae Bo class plus it would be convenient for you since it starts at 7:15 and the gym is open late

Post a Comment

« Home