Sunday, October 02, 2005

Blood donation

I've had the idea in my head to go donate blood for the past few days. I've donated blood twice in my life only, after that my hemoglobin (Hb) started dropping so I was always rejected.

Anyway, it's almost Ramadhan, and usually at this time of the month, the blood bank usually suffers from a shortage in blood supply, and so this is a good time to donate blood and somehow help with the shortage. And believe me when I tell you, it's no joke at all. The shortage is so serious that the bank announces a state of emergency and starts spreading out the call for people to donate.

I was feeling positive, lol. I had a feeling that my Hb was better since the last time I checked, which was last February, and my Hb was 9.7. My friend and I had a deal that even if I don't get to donate blood but my Hb has increased, then I owe her a chocolate cake lol.

So, we sat there, waiting for our turn to come, and when the nurse did check my Hb she said it was still low, 10.6, but I was realy happy that during these months I was able to increase it slightly, lol, it's an achievment! At least now I have a two digits number instead of one, and now I have to bake a chocolate cake!

Oh well, maybe next time, it'll be high enough to donate. I think this is the 5th time that I got rejected, lol.

Message, do donate blood if you can. You can save three lives with one bag of blood. What can top such a feeling?

Posted by Noors at 6:16 AM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Sleepless In Muscat posted at Sun Oct 02, 10:50:00 AM  
    @ noors: i would love to. but my doctor wouldn't hear of it even though i am eligable to do so. my Hgb stands now as of today at 13.2.

    but if you need blood anytime or any of your friends then you can count on me ;oP
  2. Blogger Kay posted at Sun Oct 02, 12:46:00 PM  
    my brothers school were once having a blood donation drive. but in the pamphlet they handed out they conditioned donors to be 50 kg and above. so i didnt go. is that true noor? or does ur weight not matter as opposed to what ur Hgb is??
  3. Blogger Noors posted at Sun Oct 02, 08:56:00 PM  
    Yup that's true wicked.

    To donate blood, your weight has to be at least 50kg, your Hb has to be at least 11.5 for females and 12.5 for males, and your blood pressure shouldn't be too low.

    Oh and you have to be 18 or over to donate.

    @Ali, lol, thanks, but you need yours. :)
  4. Blogger Kay posted at Wed Oct 05, 03:45:00 AM  
    thanks noor for clearfying that out

Post a Comment

« Home