Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I woke up at 4 this morning, it was probably the rain. Anyway, I just sat there in my bed, and listened to the rain, and then I just thought abt my patient, the guy I tried suturing on. So today, I wanted to go see him before I went to the operation theatre, but I was late because of the traffic, when it rains here, everything gets out of control!

Anyway, I went to see him later, before my session, and he was in pain. I just freaked out. I felt like my heart just froze there for a sec, and then it started to beat so fast. I know I have nothing to do with it, from what I heard, it's normal for a person to be in pain for abt 5 days, and with his case, you can explain it well, because the surgeon had to dig in a bit to find the appendix. But I just can't help myself. I'm worried abt him, and I tried to find my doc for two hours, I even stayed after my session hoping I'd see him.

You know what my problem is? I know my work well enough. I know deep inside that I'm good. But I always lose my confidence infront of my superiors. I just lose it! You know I'd talk, but not in the way that I want to, or sometimes I just want to make a move and volunteer to be the one to be on the spot and examine the patient in front of the whole group. Or when I was suturing, I know I wasn't really scared. But the thought that everyone's eyes were looking at my hands, and that if i screwed this up, I'd be teased abt it for ages, my hands just started shaking.....

I need to be able to prove myself. I thought I'd sit and talk to this doctor, maybe Sunday, in the clinic, in between patients. I thought maybe if I talk to someone abt it, a doctor that is, he or she might be able to understand this fear more than anyone else. I know it would be comforting.

Focus, focus, focus...

Posted by Noors at 5:48 PM

1 Comments

  1. Blogger Hopeless Poet posted at Tue Mar 01, 08:17:00 AM  
    Doctors lives are so interesting and the stories they tell sometimes are heart breaking specially when it has to do with kids!
    All my respect to you and to the rest of the honest doctors out there :)

Post a Comment

« Home