Monday, February 28, 2005

Everything has been really great since yesterday *touch wood*.

First thing, I came back home in the afternoon with my friend so that we can get some rest before we go back to the hospital for our oncall. We had MAG with us for the afternoon session, he showed us a huge aortic aneurysm, lol not in the mood to explain this medical term now!! Anyway, so we leave in less than two hours, went and got ourselves some hot chocolate to wake up, needed the caffiene!

Once we get to the hospital, it started raining, and My God, I'm posted here once how much I loved the rain.

So we're in the hospital, my friend decides that she's too tired, and leaves at 8, and I was left to hang out with the guys, typical! lol So at 9:30, we sit and talk to our oncall doc, and I told him that I'd love to learn how to suture before I leave surgery, so he says, if I was interested, he'd teach me how to scrub and how to suture, because they had two emergency appendicectomies coming in, and I was like sure great. Actually, I was starting to get a bit nervous. I've learnt how to suture once in a workshop that I took in Al Ain during the conference a year ago, but that was on a model, and one year is a long time if you don't practice. So later, we started at around 10:30 pm. I scrubed, and he asked me to help him by holding the retractor so that he can see what he was doing. Neat! I got to see an operation really close, without having to stand in the back, on my toes to try and get a glance of what is going on. Then when it came time to suture, he taught me how to do it, and omg, my hands started shaking, but the weird thing is, I wasn't afraid, so why was I shaking? lol The anesthesiologist asked me :' Doc, have you had your dinner yet?' lol I told him I didnt', but it wasn't because of this, it was because I was practicing on my very first patient. My friend told me I did fine once we were out, lol. God I was sweating! He said that he thought I'd back off once I have the needle in my hand, so he was proud of me. He stayed for the next one because he wanted to try too, I had to go, my mom was up waiting for me, forgot to take my house keys, silly me!

I really wanted to thank that doctor for giving me this chance, I couldn't do it today, because he was busy during the rounds, and then I just couldn't find him, I'll make sure I do that first thing tomorrow morning. I probably sucked, but I think I did a good job for a first time, I need to develop more self confidance, and I want to do it again. But I'll always remember that night. And I'll always always remember this doc, you tend to remember your first time at certain things, and I'm telling you this, I won't be forgeting this day ever, I'll always owe it to him every time I suture.

Oh, and just talked to trainer. We're probably meeting up during the weekened or by Saturday.

Life is busy. I come back home extremly tired, but I'm really enjoying this. I feel like I'm doing something, and I'm interested in learning. I want to know more, I want to be good, I want to make sure that I know my stuff well, so I can help as many people as I can. Yesterday, during a procedure in the morning, the patient was holding my hand, and every time she was in pain, she'd press really hard, I felt so close to her, I tried my best to comfort her, to tell her that she was doing great, I hope it made her feel better, because it sure did touch me. I guess that's the beauty of medicine, everyday, you're left with something. A feeling, a thought, you learn abt life, and abt death, and you learn to appreciate yours too....

Posted by Noors at 5:43 PM

3 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at Sun Mar 13, 10:42:00 PM  
    Hey Noor , I love the new look of your Blog :) .

    "I tried my best to comfort her, to tell her that she was doing great, I hope it made her feel better, because it sure did touch me."

    I was so touched , when i read this part , I won't say its rare to see this side in most doctors here in oman, but i always thought Dr's tend to become very practical and involve less emotions when dealing with patients , so seeing this part in you , makes me wish If every Dr would think in this manner.

    HaYa ..
  2. Blogger Noors posted at Mon Mar 14, 11:11:00 AM  
    Thank you Haya. It does touch you. And I'm sure it touches most docs, i wont say all, because there are always exceptions. They just learn to hide it well, because you need to be strong for the patients sake.

    Hey keep reading my blog girl. I love it when I see a lot of ppl here, makes me wanna write me!
  3. Blogger Noors posted at Mon Mar 14, 11:11:00 AM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

« Home